Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Homefront: Valentine's Mantel Decorating



I shopped a 90% off Christmas sale recently and got tons of berry garlands and goodies for next year. So, I thought I would try and use some for my Valentine's mantel. I usually keep them fairly tame, like those from 2011, 2010 and 2009... but I really wanted to throw some pink fluff in this year. 
 
All I bought for this craft was the pink felt heart for $2. Everything else I had around the house, and it became this:
See? All it takes is a little bit of ingenuity, hot glue and random supplies to make something cute. That center heart is just a simple pipe cleaner. You can buy the jewels at craft stores, or order them from me here in silver or an assortment of colors!
This heart I made a few years back was cute, but I wanted to glam it up and pinkify it to match my other heart. I used red nail polish on the black outer edge and pink glitter.
 She's all new and pretty in pink.

 
Yes, my IKEA Expedit bookcase makes a perfect "mantel" for decorating, since I no longer have a fireplace. Hmmm... do you think I should have added more pink or red? (My husband firmly declares, "No.", though men can still like pink.) What is your color of choice for Valentine's Day?
 Here, I used simple flower vases with Valentine's socks pulled over them.
My shabby green candelabra I painted a few years is still going strong, and getting more shabby chic by the year. She has lost some prisms, so I have to do some replacing.
This is a vintage letter/napkin holder I got for .50 cents at a garage sale. I gussied her up with some ivory paint, than dry brushed her with a pinky red, (my tutorial here). Actually, I may have made the paint a little milky by adding water, but basically the same technique.

 Love this print, by The Black Apple.

Pin It
signature lisa 180x80 180ppi

2 comments:

vivian said...

cute mantel Lisa! I love all the pink and red! my mantel is rather plain this year, believe it or not!
happy wednesday
xoxo

Jessie said...

I love that print. Plus, I love all the pink and glitter. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails